Up until now, the writing prompts have focussed on fiction writing. This week, however, I’m going to show some love to our nonfiction writers and throw out some ideas for possible articles/blog posts/school essays.
1. Just recently a young girl in India was born with four legs and four arms due to a rare condition where her twin died in the womb and her body tried to absorb the tissue (link to article). Her village views her as the reincarnation of the Hindu goddess she is named after. Discuss how society treats those who are born outside the norm.
2. Discuss how you would overhaul our current system of government. Discuss if it is really necessary to have a governmental entity and what would it take for us to be able to get rid of it completely.
3. What does it mean to be success in our current age? How does that compare what it meant to be a success in previous ages and what success might mean in the future.
4. Is money the really the root of all evil?
5. In the age of information, do you think religion will go the way of the Dodo bird?
6. Wisebread talks about the optical illusion of portion sizes. It is a known fact that plate sizes in the United States have increased about 30% since the 1950’s. Why do you think that is and with the current trend of rampant catastrophic diseases, do you think we revert to the life of moderation we practiced in the past?
7. What is reality?
8. A recent report by a top scientist suggested that the human race will split into two distinct species. (link to article) Do you agree? Why or why not? If so, do you think it will the super/sub human split as the article describes?
9. Do you think the current trend towards eco-living will stick? Do you think it will be enough to stop and/or reverse the damage to the environment?
10. What is the purpose of life? (Life as in all of humanity, not individual life)
11. List the ten most influential movies of our time.
12. Human deviance is a fact of our existence. There will always be people who go against the status quo. Write about how this tendency has both helped and hindered us as a people.
13. Do you think the writing profession is treated as a serious profession in society?